Thursday, June 20, 2013

So, I've decided to start a blog ..not that anyone cares or should care but it might be nice to come back one day and see what I was up to during my mid-20's. Missoula is filled with it's fair share of hippies, hipsters and cowboys.  I though am neither a hipster or a cowboy, it was to hard of a choice to make so I just started Fly fishing. Right now I'm finishing up a bachelors degree in Forestry at the University of Montana and this blog will follow me throughout my career in Missoula.

A little background on Missoula:
The Hellgate pass that I-90 travels through just east of town used to be a major Blackfeet Indian thoroughfare.  Blackfeet Indians would follow the Clark Fork river until it reached the Blackfoot and would travel the banks of the Blackfoot until they reached what is known today as Great Falls, where they hunted bison. Traveling through Hellgate canyon was dangerous, neighboring Salish (Flathead) Indians would clash with the Blackfeet, competing for passage to the fertile hunting grounds around Great Falls. The first white trapper that came through here noticed that the canyon was littered with human remains thus the name Hellgate was born. 

Hellgate canyon and the University of Montana in the foreground

No comments:

Post a Comment